Thursday, February 21, 2008

not something to complain about

I took a little knitting break, but I'm back at it. I've finished two new baby hats in the past week, both from the same skein of sock yarn. I would be lying if I said I knew the brand or color. I don't. The first, modeled here by Nammers (Dave's stuffed lamb from when he was wee) was done on size 3 needles and took me forever to knit.

I wasn't sure about the color, and had been hoping that there would be more green, blue, and yellow than purple. The purple is the most prominent, though, so I guess I need to come to terms with the fact that if we're having a boy he's going to wear a purple hat sometimes. Not really the worst thing in the world, but something to consider.

Dave told me he liked it, though, and said the color range reminded him of a ripening eggplant. Eggplants can be manly, right?


I did the second hat on size 5s, with the yarn held double. This one is adorable, and I can't wait to knit more in the same style at the baby grows.

(this hat modeled by a lamb who is not Nammers, but looks a lot like Nammers).

Dave has a few hats with this simple K2P2 ribbing, and I personally think it's one of the most comfortable hats to wear. Plus, the ribbing is really stretchy, so the hat will fit the baby a little longer than the stockinette ones.


Lastly, Sheldon!


Sadly, Sheldon was not created for our baby, but for another. Dave has a friend who is due a few weeks after me, and I'm trying to stay ahead of schedule on these baby gifts. While I would love to think that I will have nothing but time to knit those first few weeks after the birth, I know deep down that my spare time will be spent sleeping and showering, not knitting.

This is the 3rd turtle I've made, and I love this pattern. I particularly love the i-cord around the top of the shell. It's a nice finishing touch, and it's really fun to make. The best part about Sheldon, though, is that he's not shy at all:

He comes right out of his shell if you need him to. This cracks me up every time I see it. The little turtle legs, all floppy. The shell sitting there, discarded. This is a great pattern. Kudos to Ruth for coming up with it!

No comments: