Tuesday, February 26, 2008

finished (sort of)

I finished the bag that I started on Friday. Well, mostly finished. I sewed up all of the pieces last night, and think the bag is great. I love the cable pattern across the top of the bag, but I especially love the pattern along the strap. The bag is the perfect length for over the shoulder or across the chest.

Details -
Pattern: Tasha on Knitty
Yarn: Rowan Magpie in truffle
Needles: Size 7 Crystal Palace - they're inexpensive, but they're my favorite needles
Gauge: unknown
Modifications: None yet (see below)

I think the wool will hold up well, but it's nowhere near as sturdy as the denim the bag was designed with. I would have loved to knit the bag in denim, but my pocketbook
couldn't take the hit, and I had this beautiful yarn from my sister in law. It will definitely stretch, which is why I'm thinking of a few modifications.

First, there are no pockets. It definitely needs a pocket, or I will never find my wallet inside. I was thinking about a kangaroo pocket at first, but I've decided I would prefer just a
little side pocket on the inside.

I plan to use this bag for knitting and purse functions, so it'll contain keys, wallet, sunglasses and a random assortment of knitting. The problem with knit bags holding my knitting is that the needles always poke through. I was having trouble with this already this morning, so I'm planning to toss my stash of fabric this afternoon and see if I have something suitable for a lining. That would make the pocket question moot, and I could just sew a pocket into the lining. That
might be nice. I was thinking a shimmery purple silk floral pattern. I know I don't have that in my stash, so maybe I'll stop at the Savers on the way home and see if they've got anything for me.

I'm really happy with this project, and while I used to shy away from complicated cables, this one was fun. I had to rip back the strap 3 or 4 times when I missed a cable round, but for the most part, it was extremely enjoyable. I think the main
reason I never liked cabling was because it takes longer than regular knitting, but these days I knit a lot faster than I used to, and I don't mind the extra time for something decorative.

I'm putting something in the mail to a friend today, which I will show you once I know that he's received it. Here's a teaser photo (have I mentioned recently that I love my camera? I never used to be able to take close ups!)



No comments: