Wednesday, January 9, 2008

you mean you didn't know?

2 years ago, I found the baby name voyager on the internet. My life has never been the same. Even though Dave and I were not planning a child at the time, I was immediately taken with this tool. I love it. It graphs out the top 1000 names in the United States for the last 120 years. Not only is it pretty and fun to look at, it is extremely entertaining. I have charted out the name of every person I know, and it has come particularly in handy in the last few months as Dave and I talk about names for the kid.

Things I learned from the baby name voyager:
I was named Laura as the name was on the decline. It was number 23 in the 1980s.
The lowest David has ever hit was number 31 in the 1900s. It generally stays in the top 15 names.
Our friend Molly truly found a winner when she named her baby Cassius. That one is not coming back any time soon.
Dorman is actually a name. Not a very popular one, but a name nonetheless.
People name babies after presidents. At first I thought it was a fluke, but look at the dates of presidency, and compare them to names like Grover, Roosevelt, Taft, Wilson, Warren, Harding, Hoover, or Dwight (seriously, who would name their baby Hoover?) The trend stops with Lyndon Johnson and does not resume, though Clinton saw a resurgence in the 90s. Bush never makes it on the charts though, not even for George H.W. It's really too bad. Bush is a great baby name, isn't it?

I love you, baby name voyager. Thank you for entertaining me.

No comments: