Wednesday, June 18, 2008

this month

This month, I learned that he can roll. With absolutely no concern for where he is. Couch? Table? Elevation be damned, he wants to roll.
I learned that he's better from back to front, and almost always rolls to his left.
Pumping isn't fun, but I think it could be worse.
The stroller is a reliable device to put him to sleep.
He likes the pets! Soon, tail pulling will commence.
He misses me when I'm gone, and he has a lot to say to me when I get back.
His frown is the exact same that mine was when I was his age.
He may be a terribly stubborn child. Maybe.

This is the first month where I think it all really began to click. We're moving out of baby boot camp, and into the glory days of babyhood. Just as the second 3 months of pregnancy began to get easier, I think this next three months will be much different than the first 3. August slept through the night for the first time last night, and I have never been happier to wake up at 5:30. My first instinct that was something was wrong. I did not, after all, wake up to him screaming. I crept over to the crib to check on him, and he had rolled onto his belly and was sucking on his fingers. I was so astonished to find him sleeping after 8 hours that instead of getting an extra hour myself, I took a shower, did the laundry, read the paper, and ate breakfast, all in peace. While I know he probably won't begin doing this every night for a little while, I saw a light at the end of the tunnel and felt renewed hope that this summer will actually be pretty great.

The sickness of Dave continues, however, and trying to be at work while Dave suffers and takes care of Gus has been really hard. I left the baby with his grandma for the first time yesterday, and it was easier than I thought it would be. He behaved beautifully, and again, I see the light. I think he'll be spending more and more time with grandma, even after Dave is on the mend. I trust her so completely, and Gus loves being with her. I'm grateful that we have family in town to help us when we need it, and it's actually a little surprising that we haven't left him alone yet. We're fortunate in many ways, even though this past month has been hard. Summer has arrived and is in full swing, and I feel grateful to have a healthy, happy, playful little boy to spend it with. Ah, fambly.

No comments: