Monday, December 17, 2007

weekly vegetable update

Sadly, babycenter.com can no longer think of any vegetables the length of the growing fetus. Instead, they let me know that this week the baby weights almost 2 pounds -which is similar to the weight of a head of cauliflower! Seriously, folks. If the concept of 2 pounds is too much to grasp, do you really think that equating it to do a delicious and nutritious food like cauliflower will help me?

This weekend, Dave and I watched a video on birth. It made the whole thing feel a little more real, and put some questions to rest. It wasn't as gross or as scary as I thought it would be, although it was both of things. It definitely made me feel a time crunch, as if things are suddenly urgent. Three months left in this pregnancy, and that's not very much time. We have no furniture in the nursery, we don't know what we're doing (or if we're doing) a baby shower, and we most certainly don't have a registry set up. I'm not too worried about not having stuff- the baby doesn't sleep more than a few hours at a time those first few weeks, so wherever you put the baby down is where it sleeps, be that on the couch, in the sling, or in bed with us. My body makes all the baby food for the first few months, so we don't have to rush out and buy a bunch of new things to make food. The rest of it will get figured out quickly enough. I'm committed to staying calm amid the storm. Enjoying the winter weather and enjoying the time with Dave, our swan song as a couple, before we become a family.

It's all happening quickly, and once the baby arrives time will speed up even more. It's nice to have some time off work, time to sit and knit, watch movies, play games, spend time with family. Those are my favorite things to do in the winter, and I'm taking full advantage of this time.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Oh how cool! Why did I not know about your blog earlier?! Now I have to go back and read all of the old posts. :) So glad to hear that all is well with your pregnancy. I'm totally stealing your idea of the pregnancy ticker on the blog...neat! Grow, little cauliflower, grow!!