Wednesday, October 24, 2007

back to back

Sleeping has become difficult. I'm tired.

I can't get comfortable on my side, and I'm paranoid about accidentally falling asleep on my back. It takes me almost an hour to get to sleep at night, and I wake up every 2 to 3 hours, either because I have to pee or because I'm uncomfortable. I flip from side to side, obsessing about resting for a few seconds on my back. I've read all of the literature, and I know there are things that I can do to make this easier.

Therefore, I resolve to
1. Eat dinner by 7:00 every night
2. Stop drinking water and tea within 2 hours of going to bed
3. Go to bed at a reasonable hour, and at the same time every night
4. Exercise in the evening. That should make me more tired
5. Don't obsess about how much sleep I'm not getting

One really annoying thing that almost every book and article takes the time to mention is that once you have the baby, you don't get to sleep through the night anyway, so you may as well get used to it. I find this statement particularly smug, and super annoying. Kind of like, "ha ha sucker! you suck! no sleep for you! you're going to have a baby!" Maybe it's just me and my pre-baby ignorance, but I think the boot camp of sleeping when baby sleeps is a unique time, and while it's hard, the reward is that you get to have the baby when you're awake and you don't have to go to work for awhile. I still have to go to work every day, so sleeping more than 3 hours at a time is high on my priority list. Maybe the snoogle deluxe will make it all better. Just because of the name.

1 comment:

Knittymama said...

Those books drive me nuts too! I like your attitude on it:-)There is actually something very special about nursing your newborn at 3 am, in all that stillness and quiet.

Anyway, with both my boys, by the time they were both 8 weeks I had pretty much mastered the art of sleeping while nursing, a wonderful trick most books shy away from:-)

Excellent post on your homebirth plans! Karen is great, isn't she?