Sunday, November 18, 2007

suits

It's been a weekend of shopping. Yesterday Dave and I hit Savers, Salvation Army, and Unique Thrift store. I came home with 5 new maternity shirts that I really like. Dave also got some electric socks ($6!), an item he has long craved. Today, my mission is to find a swimsuit that fits.

It's extraordinarily frustrating to me that nearly every pregnancy book and website tell you that swimming is a good, healthy exercise to do while pregnant, yet it's impossible to find a suit. I've been following this advice, and for the first 5 months of this pregnancy I have swam laps at least 3 times a week. Now I'm no longer able to fit into the suit that I bought back at 2 months - it's not a maternity swimsuit, it's just a regular old speedo that's a few sizes larger than I normally buy. I originally scoffed at the maternity suit idea, thinking it was just another way for stores to make money. I get it now. I really need a different suit. One with support, and an expandable belly. I've been avoiding the pool for a week because it has just become too uncomfortable. I've searched the websites of Target, Motherhood, Due Date, and every other cutesy name brand maternity clothing line. I have found one thing: the dreaded tankini. There may be people in the world for whom the tankini is a flattering and delightful swimsuit. I am not one of them. I see no reason that my belly should be sticking out while I'm trying to swim laps. So today I'm off to the stores, to see what I can come up with. I'm hoping that the stores are better stocked than the internet, but I seriously doubt that. I think it'll be nearly impossible, seeing how it's November and swimsuits aren't exactly the hottest item. We'll see what I get.

Alas, I'm going to try. Maternity swimsuit, here I come.

No comments: