Monday, August 11, 2008

new favorite thing

Blegh, sorry about all the downer stuff. I'm officially clearing the air.

This is my new favorite thing.

It's the slouchy cardigan from Greetings from Knit Cafe.This was a project I started last summer. I have a distinct memory of bringing it to my first midwife appointment. The nurse asked me if I was knitting something for the baby, and I felt a little bad that I was making something for myself. I think at the time I was around 8 weeks pregnant, so not really something to feel bad about.

It turned out just lovely, and I'm sorry I don't have any idea what sort of yarn I used or the needles. I'm ashamed to admit I didn't do a gauge swatch, and when it was complete, it was way too small. I thought blocking would solve all of my problems - and it did - to some degree.

It's still a little tight, but it looks good. It's way to hot to wear now, being made of alpaca and close fitting. I can't wait for fall to curl up with this one.

I will search for the ball band. I think it might be misti alpaca, but I'm not sure. I had the knitting and most of the seaming done within a month of starting this project - but I became completely stalled when it came to attaching the sleeves and the hood. To this day, I still don't understand how they were supposed to attach. After 10 months on the UFO pile, I finally just dove in. It worked out fine, and I don't remember now what was so confusing. Something about the sleeve caps not fitting into the body at all.

It worked out for the best, and this fall I hope to whip up a quick little hoodie for the baby. With Dave's brown hoodie 95% finished (just waiting for a zipper), I'll have a family of hooded sweaters to show you soon. Yay! Knitting!


No comments: