Thursday, July 17, 2008

FO: Baby Surprise Jacket


Pattern: Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket
Yarn: Lanaloft sports weight in Precious Stones
Needles: Takumi Clover US 5 24" circular
Modifications: none
What a fun, quick knit. Most people know this pattern, and it deserves it's popularity. It's construction is so clever, the seaming is so easy, and the stripes are neat.

I loved the yarn I chose, though it wasn't what I originally had in mind. The color is a deep green, with stripes of gold and purple. I love the mismatched buttons I chose, but again, not what I originally had in mind.
The two main problems I had was that 1. I ran out of yarn 2 ridges from the end of the pattern. I thought about buying another skein, and I searched my stash for something that would make a nice complementing border. Nothing worked, and out of impatience I gave up and bound off. I think it works, but it compounds problem number 2: it's too small for August. Way too small. This maybe would have fit him a month and a half ago, but there's not a chance now.

That's actually good, though. I can go back and get the yarn I originally wanted for the project but that was too bulky. I can knit it up in time for fall, and he will have a perfect blue striped sweater just as the weather gets cold.
And this little beauty will come east with me, and will be a gift for our friends, Laura and Dave - who are expecting a little boy any day.

No comments: