Sunday, May 3, 2009

coming up for air (but not really)

Dave and I and Gus have survived our first weekend as business owners! It was a busy, hectic, and fun weekend. And oh, what a lot of work. Gus did great being in the store, I think he's getting used to the idea. I'll have some helpers this week while we continue to figure that whole scene out. I'm hoping that we'll get some new, very fun toys that he gets to play with there, as well as being able to take breaks and walks when I've got someone watching the counter. May will be hard, Dave and I know that - but the hard part comes now when we actually have to run the store while Dave keeps his full time job.

Dave is amazing and diving into this project full force. He's already moving on the reorganization we had planned (I honestly didn't think that would happen for at least a few weeks, if not months) and he's putting new merchandise out at a rapid speed. I'm trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can about the music, while also arranging meetings and working the business side of things. Fortunately the business side of things wasn't very well organized before, so most of the people I meet with and talk with are so surprised I have any clue what's going on that they're more than gracious if I take a little extra time or need a little bit more explanation. Mostly I know what I'm doing, so that feels good. The banking is behind us now, along with the initial set up and change over of business accounts.

It's scary and strange to be doing this right now, and were trying not to get overwhelmed. Dave is doing much better at that than I am. It's funny how things never go according to plan - we decided to have baby number 2 pretty quickly after Gus was born, but we had no idea this business would fall into our lap before the pregnancy was over. I know in a year (or maybe sooner) we'll look back at how well we coped, but looking forward right now is a little intimidating.

I'm so glad for all the support from friends and family that we've had. Nothing can beat people stopping by, coming in to say congratulations, offering to help in any way. And for those who are too far away or too busy to offer that, just the support and positive "You can do it!" thinking has totally helped us get through the red tape of the last 2 months. We're so glad that we've gotten this far. Just a few more weeks and we'll be walking to work together, one baby in the wagon, one in the sling. Working in the shop all day, coming home together at night. Now that's a dream come true.

No comments: