Wednesday, February 11, 2009

been here, done this

Dave and I spend a lot less time talking and pondering about this pregnancy than we did the first time around. On the one hand, I feel a little bad about that - like we're not taking the time or the interest we did in the first baby. On the other hand - I think that's just the nature of second children. You don't have as much time to sit around and think "Wow! I'm pregnant!" because you've already got one little monster to chase around. It's nice to finally feel the little baby kicking, that's making it a lot more real. Honestly, though, as I approach the 5 month mark on this pregnancy - we don't even have a list of names yet.

I keep saying there are too many balls in the air, and it's true. There's a lot to juggle right now. We're getting our stuff together to actually buy the record store, Gus is taking more steps every day, working on walking. The weather is improving, so we're spending more time outside, walking to the library and other places. I work, Dave works, and in the meantime we try to see friends and entertain once in awhile. That's a lot to keep going right now, especially with all the working that Dave is doing. It's hard to be home without him, and I'm looking forward to this long weekend when he will be around. Time is so relative. It seems like June is just a breath away and this second baby will be here in no time, but hearing from the store owners that they're setting a March 1 deadline feels like ages and ages from now. 2 and a half whole weeks! That's forever!

We can see where we're going, see that in a few months, we'll have big garden, two babies at home, and Dave will be leaving his job so that we can both work at the store full time. It's easy to see that big picture, but it's a challenge to see the little steps that have to take place to actually achieve that picture. One step at a time, one bridge to cross per day. There are so many times in my life where I've wished I could play it all in slow motion, and this is one of the only times that I wish I could just push the fast forward button and see how it all turns out.

No comments: